The Black Sea Storm will take part in this season’s Europa League qualifiers.
Trabzonspor have been given the green-light to take part in UEFA competitions this season, a club official announced on Friday.
The club’s vice president Onder Bulbuloglu confirmed to Turkish media outlet Anadolu Agency that the team will take part in the 2019-2020 Europa League competition. The team will enter the Third Qualifying Round after finishing fourth last season.
“Trabzonspor were referred to the UEFA Disciplinary committee previously but the committee did not ban Trabzonspor from taking part in UEFA competitions,” Bulbuloglu said.
The Turkish football club confirmed their participation on their official Twitter account.
UEFA released a statement on their website with a break-down of their decision.
“Trabzonspor failed to be break-even compliant as required by the settlement agreement, which they entered into on 20 May 2016,” European football’s governing body said on their website.
According to the statement, the club will not be allowed to participate in one UEFA club competition for which Trabzonspor would otherwise qualify in the next two seasons — 2020-21 and 2021-2022.
However, the ban from European competitions will be rescinded if the Turkish club fulfills their financial obligations by October 15, 2019, UEFA said.
The club Financial Control Body (CFCB) Adjudictatory Chamber sanctioned the club with a ban from participating in one UEFA club competition should they qualify during the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons.
Trabzonspor can escape the ban if by October 15, 2019, they can prove that they fulfilled the agreed upon conditions with respect to restructuring their debt, implementing new national financial monitoring regulations and meeting targets with respect to their financial results for the 2019 financial year, UEFA announced.