Turkish Football News

Barcelona keeping tabs on Under – Monchi

Monchi says Barcelona are keeping tabs on Cengiz Under

Barcelona are keeping tabs on Turkish winger Cengiz Under, according to Roma’s sporting director Monchi.

Monchi, the mastermind behind bringing Cengiz Under to the Serie A giants, has spoken to the press today and said Spanish powerhouse Barcelona are watching their young striker Cengiz Under closely.

Under, 20, joined Roma for €13.4 million from Basaksehir last summer and has caught the eye with a series of impressive performances in Serie A.

He has scored five goals in 20 appearances in the Italian top flight and Monchi has revealed that Barca have been in touch with his agent about his development.

“[Under’s representative] Bayram Tutumlu, who has a very good relationship with Barcelona, told me that they’ve asked about the kid,” Monchi told Radyospor.

“We don’t have any offers from any big European sides, but I’m certain a lot of teams are following him. Not least because of his age, although his goals also help. He’s still a young player, but we’re going to help him become an important player here because he has the quality to do that.”

Under scored Roma’s vital away goal against Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League last month as they set up a quarterfinal tie against Barca.

The La Liga leaders, therefore, could have the chance to watch the Turkey international first hand in the coming weeks, with the first leg taking place at Camp Nou next Wednesday.

“I hope we’re able to knock Barcelona out of Europe, but evidently it’s going to be very difficult. We’re up against one of the best teams in the world, possibly the very best. But we’re excited about the challenge and we will give our all.”, Monchi said.

Source: ESPN


Leave a comment

  Subscribe  
Notify of