Turkish Football News

Galatasaray dismiss Arda Turan speculation

Galatasaray dismiss Arda Turan speculation

The Lions have no plans to sign their former midfielder Arda Turan, says the club’s president Mustafa Cengiz.

FC Barcelona midfielder Arda Turan is not a transfer target, Galatasaray president Mustafa Cengiz said on Friday.

After having his contract terminated by Basaksehir earlier this month, Arda is looking for a new club despite still being an FC Barcelona player.

With the La Liga club not guaranteeing the player any playing time in Spain, Arda is left in a tricky situation as only a week remains before the January transfer window closes in Turkey.

Reports in Turkey have suggested the midfielder was close to signing for his boyhood club Galatasaray but Cengiz has officially closed the door to a possible return for the Turkish international.

Speaking to reporters during a press conference held at the club’s stadium, Turk Telekom Stadium, on Friday, Cengiz said they do not have Arda Turan on their transfer agenda.

“Arda Turan is not on our agenda. I am tired of saying this,” the club’s president told reporters when asked by multiple Turkish media representatives.

It’s uncertain what the future holds for what was once Turkey’s darling, Arda Turan, but is now struggling to find a club who will take him.

Meanwhile, Galatasaray coach Fatih Terim also shed light on potential departures from the first team.

The experienced Turkish coach revealed that Japanese full-back Yuto Nagatomo is allowed to leave the club should he find himself a club due to the arrival of full-back Sarrachi.

Nagatomo, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has been linked with a return move to Italy in recent days.

Clubs such as Bologona and Fiorentina are reported to have made inquiries about the player’s availability and a deal could be announced in the coming days.

Leave a comment

  Subscribe  
Notify of