Turkish Football News

Besiktas boycott Turkish Cup replay

Besiktas boycott Turkish Cup replay

Besiktas have refused to show up on May 3 for the re-scheduled Turkish Cup semi-final against rivals Fenerbahce.

Turkish Super Lig giants Besiktas will not show up for the replay of the second-leg of the Turkish Cup semi-final against Fenerbahce which was abandoned last week due to crowd violence, the club said on Thursday.

The game between two of Turkey’s biggest teams was abandoned after 57 minutes after Besiktas manager Senol Gunes was struck on the head by an object thrown by Fenerbahce fans.

A few days ago, the Turkish football Federation announced that the remaining minutes of the match should be played out on May 3 behind closed doors.

Besiktas said they had received the TFF’s decision with sadness and dismay.

“We have been on the field for 115 years, we have won, had draws or lost on the field. In order not to accept being losers, we will not show up on the field on May 3,” Besiktas said in a statement on their website.

The match was tied at 0-0 (2-2 on aggregate from the first leg) when it was abandoned in the 57th minute.

Akhisarspor are the first club to reach the Turkish Cup final this season after eliminating Galatasaray.

The drama continues between the two sides and what the TFF’s decision will be regarding Besiktas’ refusal to show up on May 3 is eagerly awaited.